22 June 2021
RUCODEM voluntary initiative regarding the Product Resources Efficiency Project for Powder Laundry Detergents – PREP P RO
In the spirit of concrete action for continuous progress in sustainable development RUCODEM – Romanian Union of Cosmetics and Detergents proposes to launch a new voluntary initiative in the field of sustainable consumption for household powder laundry detergents: Product Resources Efficiency Project in Romania - PREP P RO.
The PREP P RO voluntary initiative is similar to those launched by the A.I.S.E. (International Association for Soaps, Detergents and Maintenance Products – www.aise.eu) in the field of heavy duty laundry powder detergents used in households in Europe.
The acronym PREP is taken over by RUCODEM in the case of the PREP P RO voluntary initiative project described in the Project Description. Thus, for the sake of clarity, the full acronym used for this voluntary initiative is PREP P RO, where:
"PREP" - is the acronym for the English equivalent of "Product Resource Efficiency Projects"
"P" - represents "powder",
"RO" - represents "Romania", as a national market related to this project.
Having as an example the voluntary initiatives of the A.I.S.E. in the field of sustainability ("Code on Good Environmental Practices", LSP, PREP) and stimulated by the positive impact on the environment of the "Laundry Sustainable Project " (LSP 1 Initiative implemented in Romania in 2006), RUCODEM considers it appropriate to continue efforts extending the sustainability benefits of this type of voluntary initiatives in the field of laundry detergents, with a significant positive impact on the environment.
Therefore, RUCODEM proposes to take a new step in this direction by launching a project of voluntary initiative on a category of products still of great relevance to consumers, namely "heavy duty low foam detergents" (Heavy Duty Low Suds - "HDLS") used in the household.
It should be noted that PREP P RO is a voluntary initiative project similar to the PREP-P3 project of the A.I.S.E. (the third A.I.S.E. of this type for the category of household powder laundry detergents which took place between 1 July 2012 and 30 June 2014).
PREP P RO is similar to A.I.S.E. PREP-P3 both in terms of the environmental objective pursued by the voluntary initiative (continuing to provide significant benefits in terms of sustainability in the field of laundry washing in households), in terms of compatibility with the A.I.S.E. Charter. - as the main sustainability framework and as the “most advanced sustainability scheme for industry” of the A.I.S.E., as well as on the manner and timing of the implementation of the voluntary initiative.
The PREP P RO voluntary initiative, similar to the A.I.S.E. PREP-P3, is proposed based on the experience gained by RUCODEM in implementing the 2006 initiative, but also on the experience of voluntary initiatives A.I.S.E. from other European countries.
Such a voluntary initiative project, implemented in Romania, on the coordinates tested at European level, can help in developing and encouraging the habits of Romanian consumers towards even more sustainable models in the field of washing laundry with powder detergents in the household domain. This is because such an approach can be based on and benefit from a communication campaign that can only be possible in such a context.
In conformity with the spirit of the A.I.S.E. PREP-P3 and similar to this, the voluntary initiative PREP P RO aims to achieve:
- In the field of sustainable production, reducing the environmental impact of the powder detergent sector in Romania, by promoting and encouraging the reduction of chemicals, packaging and energy used in the manufacture, delivery and use of products, thus contributing to sustainability objectives, such as would be to reduce CO2 emissions.
- In the field of sustainable consumption, encouraging consumers to further optimize the way they use products, by using a consumer communication campaign. The campaign will provide consumers with important information on how to reduce the use of the product while maintaining the cleanliness offered.
In the context of PREP P RO, as in the case of the A.I.S.E. PREP-P3, participating companies will continue to take significant actions to inform and guide consumers about compacted products and their new dosages.
The voluntary initiative project addresses both branded products and products sold under a private label (private label). The project is open to any company that produces and/or places on the market, within the geographical framework defined above, HDLS laundry powder detergents. Thus, if all other conditions are met, may participate in the project:
- companies that are active in the geographical area covered by the project;
- members and non-members of RUCODEM and / or A.I.S.E .;
- manufacturers, distributors and importers, if applicable;
- companies that are established in and / or outside the geographical area;
- companies that intend to enter the market in the geographical area with products that meet the requirements of the project.
A detailed table with the main steps and specific conditions to be followed is also presented in Annex 1 to the Project Description.
Each company that joins the PREP P RO voluntary initiative commits to follow specific concrete conditions in order to achieve the objectives of the voluntary initiative project, presented in the Project Description.
For details and expressing the interest to join the voluntary initiative in the filed of household powder laundry detergents – PREP P RO, please contact:
tel./fax: +40 21 210 8885
contact person: Mihaela Rabu, Director general
- Project Description (in Romanian language)
- Letter of Commitment (in Romanian language)
* As defined in Annex VIIB of Regulation (EC) No 648/2004 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 31 March 2004 on detergents.
Companies committed up till 15 May 2022 to PREP P RO:
- Henkel Romania
- Procter&Gamble Distribution
- Unilever South Central Europe
The interested companies may join till 23 February 2023.